Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stacked, Tilted, but still crooked.

I've got the basics of the stack and tilt swing down, and as far as that goes everything is pretty good.  I'm more consistent than I was before, but not as consistent as I'd like to be.  What I really need to do is to get to the practice range and really groove in the swing, specifically the downward shoulder turn and the inward path of the hands.

I have been playing a bunch, avoiding the range in favor of getting out on the links when the weather is good.  Those days are getting fewer and fewer as the New England weather turns to autumn.  There's been a bunch of rain recently which has limited the good golf days but has been good for the lawn that was destroyed by heat this past summer.

On the course my mis-hits are getting fewer, and when I get good contact the ball goes farther and straighter.  I remain completely sold on the stack and tilt method.  I may go out and pick up the DVD's too as I progress, but for now I'm sticking with the book.  I hope that a couple of good range sessions will get the S&T swing grooved in and more consistent.

Every struggling golfer hits at least one shot each time he or she plays that leaves you with an amazing "I can't believe I just hit that" shot that leaves you salivating for your next trip out to the course.  Before I started this, that shot would either be some sort of chip or pitch shot that would more or less come out of nowhere and leave me less than a three foot putt.  Recently those "I can't wait to get back" shots have been mid- and long-iron shots and even the occasional drive. As I stated earlier, I'm playing more than I usually do.  However, that means that I haven't been practicing at all.  Predictably that means that my short "finesse" shots have suffered.  I need to work on my touch, but that will have to wait until after I solidify my gains in my long game.